When it comes to a tasty dessert, Ontario and butter tarts go hand in hand. We asked you to tell us where you’ve found the best butter tart in the province and the response was outstanding! One thing is for sure – whether you are in a small town or a big city a delicious Ontario butter tart isn’t far away!
Butter Tarts ‘n More – Little Britain, Ontario
Submitted by Bruce B, Rhonda H, Chris S, Jolene B, @jasonsmeall
While we had a huge variety of suggestions for the best butter tart, Butter Tarts n’ More kept popping up as a clear favorite. But beware: as Chris S. told us “…the only way to get a dozen butter tarts home is to buy two dozen.” Jolene B. told us, “My husband has his private pilots liscence, and apparently its a tradition for pilots to buy and eat some when they fly in to the Lindsay Airport!” Sounds like these treats won’t last long!
Flickr photo by jbcurio
Betty’s Pies and Tarts – Port Hope, Ontario
Submitted by Karen L. and Pamela S.
It only makes sense that this historic community, winner of TVO’s competition for the “Best Preserved Main Street in Ontario”, is also home to one of Ontario’s best butter tarts! Betty’s Pies & Tarts, on Hwy 2 between Cobourg and Port Hope, is a serious contender. Under $2, they offer a delicious filling and a tasty crust. For Karen they are a hands down winner!
Dee’s General Store – Valens, Ontario
Submitted by Monika G. and Shaz H.
Dee’s butter tarts are award winners! The champion of the Kitchener Waterloo Record’s “best bought butter tart contest”, one of the secret’s to Dee’s butter tarts is their size! Made in muffin tins they weigh an average of 85 grams. Try new flavours at Dee’s, like Cafe Mocha and Butterscotch Chip.
Flickr photo by bonnechance
The Little Tub Bakery -Tobermory, Ontario
Submitted by Melissa P.
Little Tub Bakery was founded by Wayne and Lorrie Hadcock in 1999 and is known for its traditional baking using old family recipes. Melissa told us “…the pastry is flaky and the filling is perfect! We buy extra to bring home and store in the freezer.”
Flickr photo by explore the bruce
Don’s Bakery – Bala, Ontario
Submitted by Anne P.
Named after Don Lloyd who opened the bakery in 1948, Don’s bakery serves up breads, muffins, cookies and of course butter tarts! Located right beside Bala Falls, this bakery serves up tasty treats and great Ontario scenery.
Flickr photo by kancil
While Ontario small towns are known for their local butter tarts, Toronto’s bakeries also made an impact on our list! Harbord Bakery, part of Toronto’s Annex neighbourhood is a regular on Toronto “Best of” lists. The Dark Horse Espresso Bar’s cozy atmosphere makes it the perfect place to enjoy a butter tart and an organic chai latte.
Flickr photos by pui and jeffcphoto
Get started planning a tasty tour of Ontario with our Best Butter Tart map (best viewed in Internet Explorer), then take a look at tips for your trip from Facebook friends!
Ontario’s Best Butter Tarts
- Marty’s World Famous Cafe, Bracebridge – Submitted by Jackie G. “Buttery pastry, ultra-gooey filling, generous size.”
- Wolfe Island Bakery, Kingston - Submitted by Brenda G. “Oh so good!”
- The Farmer’s Daughter, Huntsville – Submitted by Vicki S. “Awesome flaky pastry, and the filling is not too runny & not too dry … juuuust right! Mmmmm….
- Trudy’s, Bancroft – Submitted by Deb R.
- Nancy’s Bakery, Sauble Beach - Submitted by Shirley M.
- Kawartha Dairy, Bancroft – Submitted by Di W.
- The Little Tart, Haliburton, Haliburton Highlands – Submitted by Barrie M.
- West Guilford General Store, Haliburton County – Submitted by Amy R.
- Grandma’s Beach Treats, Wasaga Beach – Submitted by Trudie M.
- The Buttertart Factory, Campbellford – Submitted by Charlotte C. “…some gluten free as well”
- The Bear’s Den, Deep River – Submitted by Diane D. “Bernice makes the best!”
- Mrs. Cox’s, Quetico North Restaurant – Submitted by Deb R. “If you’ve ever had them you know they are the best!”
- Glenburnie, Ontario – Submitted by Lyn G. “They melt in your mouth! Hands down, the best buttertarts I have ever had.”
- Elliott’s Bakery, Garden & Greenhouse, Wiarton – Submitted by Caryn S.
- Fulton’s Pancake House, Pakenham
- A Little Taste of Paradise, Sterling – Submitted Tanya G.
- Tazzi’s Cafe, Salut Ste. Marie – Submitted by Ontario’s Algoma County
- Trenton – Submitted by Debbie G.
- Andrew’s Scenic Acres, Milton – Submitted by Cheryl S. “They make a variation with pecans and chocolate drizzle …. mmmmm……
- Doohers Bakery, Campbelford – Submitted by Elizabeth H. “Also home to the BEST chelsea buns ever!”
- Harley’s Pub & Perk - Submitted by Jennifer K & Submitted Linda L. “Nicole Wise makes the best butter tarts! “
- Country Mart, Buckhorn – Submitted by Deb C. “…Sharon makes THE BEST!”
- Black Honey, Peterborough - Submitted by Cheryl A.
- Hy Hope, Uxbridge & Doo Doo’s, Baileboro – Submitted by Rick D.
- The Bakery, Flesherton - Submitted by Sarah W. “We buy them on our way to the cottage near Tobermory”
- Thunder Bay - Submitted by Mark M.
- DooDoo’s Bakery – Submitted by Rick D and @kelly_jessup
And let’s not forget some of our favourite suggestions – from Cheryl’s M kitchen, to Shelia H & Cynthia G.’s mom’s kitchens!
One thing’s for sure – this post has left us hungry for a butter tart! How about you?